Wednesday 3 September 2008

LED Night Lights

Kids and adults alike often leave lights on at night, I know I have on many occasions left lights on when I shouldn't, even with CFL bulbs, they still use a tiny bit of energy. However an alternative to this problem is a Light Emitting Diode based night light. LED bulbs are the technology to supersede CFL bulbs, as they last over ten times longer and use as little as a twentieth of energy CFLs use, the only drawback is currently cost and fittings. However they are getting cheaper every single day.

On my visit to IKEA the other day I picked up two night lights, the first an Osram LED plug-in night light which at 0.4W, uses just over 4% of the energy required for a 9W CFL bulb, this is perfect for in the hallway to illuminate it at night. Only £3 with the IKEA Family Card.

The other is a child's portable nightlight called Spoka, design by Bodrul Khalique which makes use of rechargeable batteries and LEDs, priced at £8. You push the head to switch on the light, it's exceptionally red glow does provide reasonable light (if not "makes it look like a window in Amsterdam", my mother's comment, then asks can she have one) and of course you can carry it with you round the house. I have noticed that since using it oppose to normal lights has improved my sleeping pattern, dramatically. A cute alternative to a lamp.

And ... Don't forget just take your old IKEA electronics back to store to be recycled.


Related Articles
Support the Woodland Trust with the Swipe of a Card
The CFL Mercury Myths
Mercury in CFLs in Context

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great post on the energy savings but also as well as needing a light at night.

You might want to check out this cool LED Night Light, it will solve the have to remember to turn it off when done.

It is motion activated and battery operated and cool to look at I love mine heres where I got it MyLedNightLights

AddThis Social Bookmark Button