Thursday 11 September 2008

Chimney Balloon

I just had my head up my chimney today, and when I told people I was inflating a balloon up my chimney earlier, they thought it was some kind of euphemism. Usually not one to get my hands dirty, I was right in the action with soot everywhere. I had ordered a Chimney Balloon from Flusystems on Sunday and it arrived today. I had tried to order one last year just before Christmas when I wrote Winter Warmer Ideas, you have to practice what you preach, but the company was just featured in a national newspaper (the Guardian, I believe) and they were struggling to cope with the orders they were receiving.

The device was designed in 1990 to stop chimney draughts, and has some bold claims on their website, including;

"A room with a blocked chimney needs only about half the heat compared with rooms with open chimneys, so it makes sense to fit a chimney balloon in every chimney which is not in everyday use."

The chimney balloon is made in a special laminate of three plastics to make it airtight, tear-resistant and long-lasting. It also has a special shape that allows a little ventilation on two corners to keep your chimney dry. Using a chimney balloon is completely safe, if it is accidentally heated, it shrivels and deflates.

I was slightly skeptical about the claim that it requires only 50% the energy to heat a room with one installed, so I did the non-scientific hand infront of the flue, outside there was a small breeze, and this could be felt entering the room slowly and consistently.

I placed my chimney balloon into the flue and started blowing, gently making sure that it was postitioned well as it inflated, it took a few tries as I was dubious that my inflation, angle and postitioning was, well not good.

After completion I repeated the non-scientific hand infront of the flue, no breeze, good job. Just to make sure it is functioning properly you should check it after 24 hrs to make sure that it hasn't reduced in size due to cooling of the air in the balloon, and again every month or so.

The chimney balloon is effective mainly because of one single principle, warm air rises and cold air sinks. With the chimney balloon we can stop both at once, keeping cold air from entering the room, and warm air from escaping up the chimney. Chimneys act as a funnel and pump to take warm air away. This is a good thing when your fire is lit and the warm air is full of smoke.

It did make the room feel warmer, but then again I am a nieve person that when taking placebos thinks they are working. I believe it works, and works effectively, it's a small difference, that will save some energy without even having to try, and with global energy prices still high it could pay for itself in less than one winter.

As well as ordering a chimney balloon, I ordered radiator reflector panels, which hopefully will arrive soon (I'm going to try a more scientific test with them), and will be installing solar thermal water heating this October which we hope will reduce our energy consumption by providing the equivalent of 1500kWh of hot water heating a year, for an energy efficiency dork like me it's mighty exciting.

Related Articles
Winter Warmer Ideas
Is The Government Right to Scrap the One-Off Winter Fuel Payment?
Talk About the Price of Oil

No comments:

AddThis Social Bookmark Button