Thursday 14 August 2008

How Much Electricity Does a Russell Hobb Toaster Use?

I thought I would measure my toaster, as well it's breakfast time ... almost. Toast is eaten alot for breakfast around the world, its quick and convenient. But how much energy is consumed in making your bread golden brown?

I tested the Russell Hobb Satin Classic 2 Slice Toaster (Model No. 14360), it matches my kettle, that I measured earlier. I measured on a medium setting, which toasted the bread for 177 seconds. The toaster used between 1155W and 1232W. Toasting two slices of bread used 0.06kWh (about 0.8 pence).

However most toasters have only an option for two slices, you can toast one slice but, it still requires the same amount of energy as each slot does not operate independently, I know that is a bit extreme to point out such a small issue, and I'm sure that the percentage of people toasting one slice is in percentage terms a small minority, but the energy saved could be huge if taken across the globe.

For information on the electricity consumption of other products check out "How Much Electricity Does a ... Use?"

Please Note the energy use figures are taken from an energy monitor and are not scientifically analysed, therefore the range and margin of error is greater. If you would like a specific product tested let us know and we will endeavour to check it out.

No comments:

AddThis Social Bookmark Button