Monday 24 March 2008

I Bought a New Bike

After indecisiveness over buying a new bike for a while, and looking on the past indiscretions of David Cameron as seen in last week's Daily Mirror, I have eventually splashed out £750 on a brand new zero emission bike. I do admit this was after checking alot of things, firstly after the news of DC was that of bikes and the law, if DC can't stay legal on a bike, then how could I manage. On my searches I found this great article by bikes for all, outlining Cycling and the Law.


After I reassured myself that I wasn't going to be convicted of "furious cycling" anytime soon, my next issue was which bike to buy, if you are overcome and confused by choice, the bicycle market is full of many choices, but there is lots of information out there on what to choose. I decided on a BeOne WoodBumble Plus 2006, at £750, down from the original RRP of £1600, when the bike was "in season", and purchased on impulse today at 10am

Before buying you should check if your employer operates the Bike to Work Scheme, as part of the ‘Green Transport Plan’ introduced by the UK government. This scheme allows an employee to save income tax, national insurance and VAT up to 50% on the cost of a new bicycle to be used for commuting. My employer didn't have this scheme implemented and I didn't want to wait for them to, so I purchased at full price immediately.

Lastly was insurance, as I may be riding the bike to work and leaving it unattended, in an undesirable location, I wanted to make sure I could have the bike covered. Cycle Guard offer an insurance service throughout the UK. My bike would be covered for an annual fee of £69. Make sure you check the coverage and approved lock list, to ensure your bike is fully covered at all times.

I am eagerly awaiting my new bike to hit the road quite literally and try out cycling again.

No comments:

AddThis Social Bookmark Button