Thursday 20 September 2007

My Most Polluting Purchase

I have just made one of the most polluting purchases I will make this year, something that emits 25g of CO2 per second, the equivalent to eating a packet of Walkers crisps every three seconds. 1.5kg of CO2 per minute, similar to boiling a kettle for one hour. 90kg CO2 per hour, one percent of the annual carbon footprint of the average person in the UK. And 2.18 tonnes of CO2 a day, the same as a 11975.2 miles flight from London Heathrow to Hong Kong.

Well actually, if you had not guessed from the picture that is what I have purchased, a flight from London Heathrow to Hong Kong with British Airways, of course in cattle class, not that I could afford Club World or First (not that I would reject a free upgrade), my excuse is cattle class of course is somewhat more "environmentally friendly", but that is a very empty excuse at that and to hide my overwhelming guilt. Whilst the trip will be a mixture of business and pleasure, I can't help but feel guilty for the cardinal eco-sin I have committed upon the planet after considerably galant efforts from the initiation of this blog. Offsetting seems the only way to free my conscience. Whilst I am not a fan of offsetting, in this case it seems the only fast track route to eco-heaven, and possibly to dissipate the guilt from my mind.

So how exactly can I offset 2.18 tonnes of CO2, well British Airways have partnered with Climate Care to allow passengers to offset their emissions for a nominal fee, in my case a mere £16.84. That is a fast track way to a guilt free flight. Like similar offsetting schemes the money is invested into projects around the world; Renewable Energy, Energy Efficiency, or Forest Restoration.

Technically my £16.84 will purchase about 22 energy efficient bulbs to reduce carbon emissions in one project. I think this is my gripe with carbon offsets, they seem so trivial and uninspiring, but if it reduces emissions surely it is a good thing.

To calculate your carbon emissions from British Airways flights visit the British Airways Carbon Calculator.

If you can inspire me to use £16.84 more wisely to offset 2.18 tonnes of CO2 emissions (or more), tell me how, and I may just consider your proposal. Add your ideas to the blog responses section.

No comments:

AddThis Social Bookmark Button